Blatchington Mill School and Sixth Form College was formed in 1979 from the amalgamation of Hove Grammar School for Boys, Knoll Boys School, and Nevill County Secondary School. See more about former students on our Alumni Page.
The School takes its name from West Blatchington Windmill which is situated just outside the school gates. The earliest pictorial record of the windmill is a pen and ink sketch by John Constable in 1825. The windmill is a 'smock' windmill. The name was given to this design of wooden tower mills that resembled the smock frocks worn by the millers of the period. It has six sides (they normally have eight) and is clad in cedar boarding. The mill ceased working around 1900 but is now restored and a Grade II listed building.
If you would like to pay a visit, the mill is open on Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays 2.30-5.00pm from May to September inclusive. More information on the mill is available from the Sussex Mills Group.
School's 75th Anniversary
On the 16th September 2011 the School celebrated its 75th Aniversary, read more here [pdf].
The Mural Wall Painting, West Wing Foyer
Painted originally in 1956 by A. Harrison, an Old Boy of the former Grammar School, the mural painted over the main staircase was restored in 1994 by Sheila French, funded by the Old Boys Association, in memory of Gwen Brackley, who was for many years Secretary of the Association.
With grateful thanks to Alan Pratt, Hove Grammar School 1953 - 1958