Head Teacher (Permanent)
ISR Leadership Scale Points 33-39
Required from Easter 2022
The governors are looking to appoint an inspirational and ambitious headteacher to build on the existing strengths of this popular and successful secondary school.
Blatchington Mill is a large secondary school with over 1600 students on roll across years 7 – 11 and 230 members of staff. The school is maintained as part of Brighton and Hove local authority.
Following the promotion of our existing head teacher to an Executive Head Teacher role at another school, the governors of Blatchington Mill School are looking to appoint an inspirational and ambitious head teacher who will continue with the recent academic, structural and administrative developments of this popular and successful secondary school. The school’s motto of ‘Involvement, Achievement and Care’ is not an empty phrase, but runs through all that we do. We are looking for someone who has strong educational values and who will reinforce these key aspects, in a collaborative and supportive atmosphere.
Blatchington Mill is very popular in the local community and it remains consistently oversubscribed year-on-year, despite recent increases in our PAN (planned admission number) and is on a sound financial footing. Achievement levels are high: students thrive academically and socially and achieve excellent outcomes. There is a clear focus on developing the whole child at the school, valuing the educational benefits of the full curriculum.
The school is highly inclusive and encourages all members of the community, including students and families to take an active part. Behaviour is excellent with a well-established positive behaviour management strategy in place to reward and celebrate conduct, manners and work ethic.
The school has become known also for its innovation, particularly in curricular aspects. For instance, Blatchington Mill was selected as one of only nine schools nationwide to be awarded MFL lead hub status and was featured in a recent DfE publication of good practice in “Teaching a broad and balanced curriculum for educational recovery”.
The next Head Teacher at Blatchington Mill will have:
- A proven track record of successful leadership which has secured improved achievement and progress outcomes for all students at whole school level;
- The ability to inspire, challenge, motivate and empower colleagues and students within the school community to achieve their potential;
- A commitment to continuing the highly inclusive nature of the school;
- A caring, visible and approachable attitude to staff, students and parents/carers;
- An innovative approach to school improvement and curriculum development;
- The drive, resilience, energy, vision and ambition to build on the school’s current successes.
We can offer the successful candidate:
- A dedicated and hardworking team of staff and leadership team who are ambitious for all students;
- Students who want to learn and to succeed;
- Opportunities for personal and professional development;
- The opportunity to work with a partnership of ten local secondary schools;
- A supportive governing body.
Visits to the school
We would welcome visits to the school by appointment on Monday 1st November and Wednesday 3rd November between 12 noon and 2pm. To book an appointment please contact Amanda Brasington, PA to the Head Teacher, via email to email@example.com
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this role please complete and return an application form before the closing date to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Tuesday, 9th November 2021 – 12.00 noon
Interview dates: Tuesday 23rd and Wednesday 24th November 2021
Blatchington Mill School is committed to safeguarding our students; we expect all staff and volunteers to support this commitment. Criminal record checks will be carried out and a full, enhanced DBS clearance is required for all positions.
Applications are encouraged from black and ethnic minority candidates, as these groups are under-represented on the school's staff.
(Race Relations Act sections 35-38 apply).